The mission of the Historical Society is to preserve Shrewsbury history, promote participation from the community at large, highlight Shrewsbury's historical significance and share the valuable resources of the Society through educational programs.
The Shrewsbury Historical Society was established in 1972 as an off shoot of the Jerseyanna Club at the Shrewsbury Borough School. Under the direction of the late E. Louise Jost, the Shrewsbury Historical Society flourished when the member's dream became a reality with the building and dedication of its headquarters building in 1984. The building serves both as a museum and an education and research center for frequent visitors from Shrewsbury, Monmouth County surrounding towns, and guests from across the nation.
The Shrewsbury Historical Society building has subsequently been integrated into the Shrewsbury Municipal Center appropriately complementing the focal location of many community activities.
The museum contains a vast collection of Shrewsbury memorabilia with emphasis on Shrewsbury’s activities beginning in the mid-1800 when agriculture played a major role in the daily life of Shrewsbury. Prominent amongst the collection are items of interest from the Hazard family, frequently referred to as the “Ketchup Family of Shrewsbury”. Other items of interest are the models of the historic buildings that make up Shrewsbury’s Historic Four Corners. Memorabilia from the Shrewsbury Borough School includes the original school bell, minutes of early school board meetings, and copies of “The Ivy”.
Recently added to the museum collection is an assortment of items of historic interest from the Shrewsbury Police Department. The walls of the museum are adorned with photographs from Shrewsbury’s past. Pieces of period furniture are of interest as well. The center serves as an education center with periodic programs for local scouts, school children, residents and other guests to explore the vast history of Shrewsbury’s past. The research library contains more than 3,000 books centering on the history of the United States, New Jersey, Monmouth County, and Shrewsbury. Aged maps, deeds, and family bibles contribute to those interested in genealogical research.
The Shrewsbury Historical Society is financially supported by its active members and guests. The Society is an independent membership organization receiving NO FUNDING from the Borough of Shrewsbury or Monmouth County. Membership dues, contributions, and periodic garden parties & holiday parties frequently held in the Sycamore Avenue magnificent homes serve to raise funds to support the work of the Shrewsbury Historical Society. The annual newsletter highlights the society’s activities. A Board of Trustees oversees the operation of the organization.
SHREWSBURY HISTORICAL SOCIETY with Mayor Don Burden of the Borough of Shrewsbury Posted Aug 02, 2018
Jill Horner speaks with Don Burden, Mayor from the Borough of Shrewsbury, about the Shrewsbury Historical Society. Interview recorded 8/1/2018.
Business Growth with Mayor Don Burden of the Borough of Shrewsbury Posted Aug 02, 2018
Jill Horner speaks with Don Burden, Mayor from the Borough of Shrewsbury, about Business Growth in the Borough. Interview recorded 8/1/2018.
A look past!
Reprinted from The Register
August 21, 1991
The eagle has landed once again in Shrewsbury.
The Shrewsbury Kiwanis Club presented Mayor Raymond Mass and the Borough Council with a copper eagle for the top of the war memorial flagpole at Patriots Isle, Sycamore Avenue and Broad Street.
The original copper eagle has been missing for more than five years and no explanation as to how it disappeared.
The memorial was established in 1942 by then Mayor Alfred Beadleston. more...
SHREWSBURY HISTORICAL SOCIETY